Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Saesang Bring It On!

OhHaiDer :]


My sickness has brought down my voice by at least one or two octaves.
Also, no idea why I'm posting at 3 AM ouo
Anyways
Today I bring you
Saesang Bring It On!~


Saesang Bring It On!


Story & Art: Hwang Mi Ri
Publisher: Samyang
Rating: Teen (13+)
Synopsis: (www.mangaupdates.com) HyoYi is a poor girl with a scholarship to one of the most exclusive private schools, attended only by kids from the richest families. Strong and resilient, HyoYi fights to protect her mentally handicapped brother whose illness makes him a target for bullies and beatings. Then she meets MinHa, who unexpectedly winds up making an agreement to protect the siblings. Bound together by their unusual arrangement, HyoYi and MinHa gradually learn what it means to love, one step at a time....


Art Review: 4/5


I always love the pretty detailing of manhwa, the hair is always so epicly awesome. However at times the girls look very ungraceful and the perspective seems to be a bit off. Nonetheless it was a well drawn manhwa, and I enjoyed the style.


Story Review: I don't read a lot of manhwa but I do find that it is somewhat similar to manga and yet so different. The manhwa opens up with a bunch of cheesy lines, and the first uttered lines "Take your best shot!" made me want to shout "FIRE AWAAAAYYYYYYYYY~" (but my voice is complete crap so let's not attempt that shall we?) I don't even understand the significance of the first scene. What the hell is she doing just standing in the middle of wherever she is, screaming taunts at the world? The only thing creepier than doing that is having conversations with yourself, and not just the people who walk with bluetooths plastered on to their face, jabbering on to themselves because they are forever alone. They're almost even worse than the people who go into blackberry trances in the middle of the hallway. Hyoyin's my hero! Punching stoic assholes in the face. I wish there were more heroines like this in manga and they'd turn out to be less annoying and 2-D. One can dream.. Hyoyin even punches the 'Ice' prince. You know, they make him out to be all intimidating but really, to me that just sounds really gay. Minha decides to be all manly and threaten Hyoyin. Whatever happened to chivalry in manga? Really, evil-bitch-who-is-a-pointless-obstacle-and-I-can't-be-bothered-to-remember-the-name-of, dumping your food on someone just because you're offended? What are we, 12? Then again, Hyoyi doesn't prove herself to be mature either as she starts to kick Minha's bike a couple pages later out of complete rage. I'm sorry to be stereotypical about people like Hyoyin but what? She can cook? Woman, get your ass back in the kitchen. I keed the sexist jokes (I AM a girl you know.) What does frighten me about this manga is that every other scene has something violent in it. Minha chokes Hyoyi, assholes beat up Hyojae. Even in a manga beating up people with mental challenges is pretty low and annoys me a little. And the teachers are allowed to beat the students still for punishment. My father remembers that treatment and he's 48 years old. Once again I mention, smooth Hyoyi, change your middle finger that you stuck up at Minha into a peace sign when he looks. You can only pull that off because you're asian. And while it seems to be at the point in a story where the love aspect is promised a blond girl from Minha's past just randomly comes out and makes out with him. PREDICTABLE. I laughed at Hyoyi's running at one point in the manhwa. Look at her. Doesn't she run like a Welshman? Doesn't she? As of now, I'm too lazy to read another series and the scanlations aren't out yet for the rest of this series, but in general it was actually an entertaining read, despite the fact you can see all the events coming from miles away.


7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment