Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mousou Honey

OhHaiDer :]


I hate being sick.
By the way, have any of you played Ape Escape? (only the first one, the sequels are bollocks)
I missed that game
But that stupid fish and the T-Rex scared the living shite out of me
Anyway
Today I bring you..
Mousou Honey~


Mousou Honey


Story & Art: Mikuni Hajime
Publisher: Ichijinsha
Rating: Older Teen (16+)
Synopsis: (mangaupdates.com) Nonoka enters a new high school and is drafted into the high-end and rather bizarre Student Council by a “cool beauty,” Nozomi. What will this mean for the decidedly average Nonoka? Hijinx and Wackiness, of course!


Art Review: 3/5


I kinda liked this style, it was cute, but why are the necks super emphasised? I know that it's a yuri and all and I guess they'll want people to pay attention to the girls giving each other a nibble but you didn't need to make it seem like every character is a giraffe. In the past, we've already made giraffe neck jokes so we don't need to speak on this again, do we?


Story Review: I've never actually read a yuri before so I'll try not to make an arse out of myself with something I'm not very familiar with. Nonoka just walks in a hallway for the first couple pages and at complete random (or so we thought) Mr.Giraffe Neck walks in and drags her away to the student council room. Oh, wait, this is an all girl school, my bad. On the topic of Nonoka, I'm given a very bad impression of her as she gushes about people confessing to her. I don't know about you but it seems to be a little self-centred to think about things like that. While I was unaware of what I was reading I was thinking to myself, these girls are touchy! And not in the bitchy PMS way. And as soon as Nozomi kisses Nonoka, I realised then just what exactly I was reading. Somewhat makes me wonder about the tastes of the person who has recommended me this. And poor Nonoka is naive and unable to make her own decisions. With that sort of persona she's going to get raped by this student council one way or another, made evident by the fact that almost every single girl that exists in this manga is just a huge horny flirt. Nonoka confesses her love over the PA, probably everyone's worst nightmare, right next to showing up at school with no pants on, and accidentally tucking your skirt into your panties and wondering why all the girls are laughing and wondering why all the guys are telling you have a nice looking bum. One thing that really bothered me in this manga is that they made a Romeo and Juliet reference. I understand, it's the most well known play by Shakespeare, and the famous scene on the balcony is somewhat romantic if you forget that Juliet is 13 and Romeo is more than 20 years old and all they did was go to a party and get seriously horny, but anyone who makes this reference in an attempt to signify cute love is a failure due to the fact that Romeo and Juliet KILL THEMSELVES at the end of the play. Sumako, with her lip design, just looks like she puts on too much makeup and often refers to herself as beautiful throughout the series. Reminds me of way too many people I know *shakes her head* Overall, I would have enjoyed this manga at a slower pace, and the ending is too quickly ended.


7/10

2 comments:

  1. "Question the tastes of the person who recommended it"? Wouldn't they like, I dunno, give you a fair warning just in case it wasn't your preference? O.ó I mean, yuri is a very specific genre that really isn't for everyone. I know I don't really like it.

    I also dislike Romeo and Juliet references. I hated that play, and most references (particularly in manga) make me feel like they don't know the story. It makes them look a bit ignorant, because Romeo and Juliet was far from romantic, it was just ridiculous, and dropping the names just to make it seem like a perfect, romantic couple makes no sense at all! D:<

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I needed a one-shot and they handed it to me.
    No harm done, at least it wasn't a sports manga, majority of which are absolute shite and I wouldn't be able to stand to read.
    And yes, Romeo and Juliet were far from romantic.
    They were just really horny people :B

    ReplyDelete