Friday, May 20, 2011

Hotel

OhHaiDer :]


There's too much rain lately ouo;
Today I bring you..
Hotel~


Hotel


Story & Art: Boichi
Publisher: Kodansha
Rating: Older Teen (16+)
Synopsis: (mangaupdates.com) It is the year 2272 A.D.
A computer continues to live on in order to complete a mission in a world where all life, including Mankind, has gone extinct. This is a record of those 27 million years of its heroic struggle.



Art Review: 3/5


The art is not entirely that special, it's just standard for an environmentally driven one-shot. It's detailed, but at times the events that happen are not too clear. I'll give it to the mangaka, it would be slightly difficult to illustrate unworldly things displayed in this manga, but a little more emphasis on what was happening would have been preferable.


Story Review: I actually found this a rather interesting manga, however little things do stick out to me. The description of the manga makes it sound like a computer is running a race for 27 million years. 'Heroic struggle.' Yeah, sure, against the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH *dun dun dunnnn* (I use a mac so I don't get the blue screen of death. Suckas.) And with humanity extinct there won't be any tech support now (come to think of it, even if humans were alive their tech support wouldn't help any.) So apparently where the computer is the last hotel standing? When I read that, this started playing in my head. While reading this manga I think to myself, the things described here don't fall far from the truth. How sad. I know this manga is supposed to be totally serious, but why the hell is Keira Knightley in here? I suppose that this is just the wish of all humanity that her baby is saved and they restart humanity with her genetics. And why is it that the father is old enough to be her grandfather? He also kinda looks like an emo David Suzuki. The robot they create to defend the DNA.. It's a really emotional R2D2. I'm kinda just imagining a pop can bursting out into tears.. And as they quote "What a Wonderful World" as humanity dies out I hear Louis' voice in my head. It's half humorous and nostalgic.. What I fail to understand about this manga is just how this computer, that can't move, is making all these things, like the repairs and such. Near the end, the earth cools and it starts to rain, and he starts to have hallucinations. I didn't know robots could have hallucinations. Or feelings for that matter. The aliens come soon enough (UFOs and everything), they kinda look like Pokemon. It's very heartfelt, the ending.. But I have something to say.. If you were to take this literally, the robot's brother should be black, to that logic of him being Louis Armstrong.. But both of the parents are Japanese... Something's not right here, Keira. Bad Keira, bad. All joking aside, this was a very interesting manga. I just wish there was a little elaboration with Louis' feelings in terms of him saving humanity (which in my opinion should not be revived, anyhow.)


7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment