Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Get Chu

OhHaiDer :]


Sorry I are late
I was in Mississauga all day 
Is it weird that when I think of the word Mississauga I think of the campfire song from Spongebob?
Anyways
Today I bring you
Get Chu <3~


Get Chu <3


Story & Art: Ayane Ukyou
Publisher: Shueisha
Rating: 13+
Synopsis: (mangaupdates.com) Chitose is eager to fall in love, and she thinks she's found the perfect candidate in Yamato. Yamato is good-looking, considerate... and a little bit of a delinquent! Chitose discovers that Yamato takes money for kisses and dates! Chitose wants Yamato's lips for herself, but she has absolutely no intention of paying for them. Look out, Yamato, because Chitose -- a refreshingly spirited heroine -- is out to Get Chu! 


(That was a terrible pun, honestly.)


Art Review: 3/5


The art in this manga is not all too special. The guys are somewhat handsome, but the girls either look like boys, whores or just too young for their age. I hear in Ukyou's new work, the artwork is much better, I can only hope so.


Story Review: I know I'm ragging on this pretty hard. I know that it's a common shoujo trait to have a girl who looks like a boy only because she has no boobs and an asian bob. But when Yamato kicks the ball at her and hits her in the face I blanked out for a second and thought I had stumbled onto another yaoi. But she is wearing a skirt and no one is cross dressing so it is indeed a girl (sometimes this trend bothers me a wee bit.) Out of pure boldness (or nervousness, I can't tell with this broad at times) she refuses help from Yamato and takes tissue and sticks it up her nose. They start laughing because she looks like a grade schooler. I start laughing because that's what guys in manga and anime do as a precaution for arousal related nosebleeds. I'm actually rather curious as to whether or not that happens (or happened) in real life. With slice of life manga, the heroine usually gets in trouble often and the hero saves her but I swear Chitose is going to end up falling in front of a train accidentally hoping that Yamato will catch her or something. Uh oh, Tomo, don't bring Chitose to a goukon. As another stereotype people get taken away from goukons and get killed and/or raped, or the rape occurs DURING the goukon. But then again, Chitose is just different from other heroines so we can expect different, I suppose. Really now, Yamato? $10 for a kiss? Cheap whore. I know in a lot of shoujos people say "kisses taste like lemons", but I wasn't aware of the counter part, "forcing yourself onto someone tastes like onions." Note to self: When forcing yourself onto someone, take breath mints with you. I find this manga rather amusing when the girl thinks that giving random creepy kisses is a sign of love. One thing that sticks out to me, why is is that the handsome guys are all really smart in these manga? That doesn't happen often in reality. Um.. Yamato is eating a chocolate Korone? Doesn't that sound a lot like the engrish for chocolate colon? Oh Japan.. you and your... stuff... At this point, I don't know if she loves him, or if she's just taking stalking to the next level. She's lucky she's a girl, and stalking isn't much of a girl thing. I find it funny that with all the girls beating up on Chitose for being around Yamato and such, it's almost like one prostitute has a shitload of pimps, rather than the other way around. Hey kids! Let's do some math.. Yamato + Curtain + Mysterious Girl + Chitose = ??? If you guessed 'shit goes down', for once you are wrong! Yamato plays nice and gets rid of the girl to spend time with Chitose. Yamato might seem nice from this view, but he's a mysterious little bastard, he is. One panel he says he loves her and the next he says it's no good. Chitose has a bit of right in saying,"I'm not your toy!" But her next move to get over Yamato is a bad one, going out with Ishihara. That would never work with someone as easily jealous as Yamato. Although this is a manga, I do appreciate the reality striking Yamato as they suspend him for his near prostitution ring. In the final dramatic scene, in a standard manga, it's supposed to be inspiring.. Tear jerking.. Heart warming.. Unfortunately for someone like myself a terribly worded conversation ruins everything. Yamato: "The only one I'll kiss is Chitose" Chitose: "Me too" That sounds a little too narcissistic to be taken seriously for me. And with the intended context of kissing, that would be physically impossible. Like eating your own head. But the sweetness does come back a little, until their kissing drags on for 3 pages. Really, guys? Get a room you two. And remember, no hickeys. When it comes to the scene of everyone being suspended at the same time, everyone starts kissing because it would get one suspended. What made me facepalm was that there were so many girls in the room, but no, they decided to try and fit in some fan service by having Ishihara kiss Yamato. Shame on you Ukyou, shame. And it makes me wonder where Ukyou wants the readers minds to go when she has Chitose narrate,"I wonder what kind of kiss we'll have next?" Um.. fellatio? I keed the easily misinterpreted statement. Overall, I found this manga was refreshing, with Chitose's boldness. It was cute, but still just a tad creepy.


7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment