Thursday, April 21, 2011

Shugo Chara!

OhHaiDer :]


Sorry about missing the last update
I was at a concert
Fuck yeah 
Anyways
Today I bring you...
Shugo Chara!~
And no, it's not because it's Easter.


Shugo Chara!


Story & Art: Peach-Pit
Publisher: Kodansha
Rating: Teen (13+)
Synopsis: (wikipedia.com) The heroine of the story, Amu Hinamori, is a student at Seiyo Elementary. At first glance, her classmates refer to her as "cool and spicy" and rumors speculate about her personal life. However, her real personality is that of a very shy girl who has trouble showing her true personality. One night, Amu wishes for the courage to show her "would-be" self, and the next morning finds three brightly colored eggs—pink, blue, and green—in her bed. At first, she is alarmed, but realizes she must have really wished to change. These eggs hatch into three Guardian Characters: Ran, Miki, and Su. The Guardian Characters aid Amu in discovering who she truly is and help fulfill Amu's dreams. Amu's life becomes much more complex as she struggles to deal with her "would-be" selves and the Seiyo Elementary's Guardians, who each have a Guardian Character of their own. Later on,they recruit Amu as the "Joker" to search for X Eggs and X Characters, the corrupted forms of people's dreams, so the Guardians can purify their dreams.


Art Review: 5/5


The art is the only thing I liked about the manga. It's super cute, and I'm just a huge fan of punk/lolita/goth styles in manga, tis also why I loved Nana so much *sniff sniff* The art is well produced, and the line art is pretty.


Story Review: Before I get to the actual plot (which is shit, I warn you) there are some things that stood out to me. One, putting out the draft on my iPod, I got autocorrected from 'Shugo' to 'shag'. My iPod has a dirty mind.. *shakes her head* Also, while reading this (online, because I am poor and my library sucks) this sort of explains about the people who actually enjoyed this manga. 'People who read Shugo Chara also read LSD.' Yes, that explains everything now (once again, picture, you are PISSING me off. Someone teach me how to work this stupid thing~) And now, to the main attraction, the manga itself. Now.. I don't usually have an issue with magical girl manga... but there are just so many things WRONG with this manga that I can't help but rip it to shreds like the tissue paper that was left for your cat to devour hungrily. Amu, I know you want to be cute, and everything.. but I don't think you have the right idea when you say that you want to be obedient. Maybe it's an incorrect translation from Japanese to English but I'm pretty sure one's 'would be self' is not just some white girl. I keed the white girls.. With the way the story implies that Amu lays her original Shugo Chara.. It seems like she's shitting them out. Even though the rest of the characters lay their eggs by having them come out of their heart all dramatic like. As I read this manga I wonder to myself, what's with the guardians of the school? Pedophile defence force? They call Amu cool and spicy throughout the whole manga. I know the engrish doesn't always turn out the best but that's prolly just someone failing at trying to say she's sassy. Why is it that this 17 year old high school student, Ikuto, is always molesting the 6th grader, Amu? That's a fail way of promoting lolita and fanservice at the same time. There's just ear biting and licking and close hugging. If anyone loses it to that I will seriously punch someone in the face. Once again, this manga is just one of those themed mangas, and you all know just how much I hate them.. It's obvious this is an Easter manga with the evil corporation being called Easter, and what with all the eggs floating around.. Although I don't care for the religion much, evidently this manga is an outright mockery of the Easter season for catholics. The X eggs remind me of hollows (why does everything remind me of hollows? Geez.) Becoming character in this manga seems like a huge rip off of Sailor Moon. She even has the hand position sort of fashion about her.. I'm left thinking to myself, with all these character changes in Amu, wouldn't it make her bipolar? I'm just saying. The subplots of this manga are obnoxious and way too obvious. And the rest of the plot and the things allowed to be going on frustrates me as well. At one point Amu loses the new egg she got, and takes someone else's. And there is incest. As if this manga wasn't subtly creepy enough. And I know that there was mention of Nadeshiko having a twin brother, but then Nadeshiko wasn't her but Nagihiko, this whole time, so the queen was a boy... I'm confused. *loses a couple brain cells* In chapter 34, I actually laughed, because the minion says, "Play the violin Ikuto" and it reminded me of this. Chapter 36 is sexist. All talk about how boys are the heros and women are not supposed to be strong. They're not even directing it into a feminist light, they are just repeating the fact that according to the world women are useless. What also made me laugh is the scene where they see Gozen. They pull off the cloak and they see a tape recorder. What is this, Charlie's Angels? And the plot twist nearly made me puke. The ending is so shitty and cheesy that I am now lactose intolerant from reading it. The ending is like if someone beat a horse to death with its own body parts, and then someone rapes the horse, but they think it's not enough and drag the body throughout a populated area for all of them to see, and there's still someone raping the horse while they are dragging it out while the guts trail behind. Overall this manga is asinine shit, it's too long, and you shouldn't read it unless you want to become a giant vegetable. 


3/10

8 comments:

  1. I watched like 3 episodes of the anime and thought it was kinda terrible... Glad to know I was right and it doesn't suddenly get better. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the gods it was absolutely terrible, as you can tell
    I read the whole thing and my head literally hurt from all the stupidity

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this anime you just don't get the plot. This anime is not stupid i can think of so many people who would punch you all in the face if you said that to them. That is all i have to say on the subject

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALSO.
      All of these reviews are subjective.
      Not objective.
      Quit being so redundant about my opinions, because clearly they are not yours.

      Delete
  4. I don't get the plot?
    Ok, here it is (once more)
    Amu wishes that she was a better person.
    Since this manga is laced with Easter themes, she makes Charas with her will to be different.
    She meets more people who have terrible character traits and thus the Charas to make up for them.
    Shugo Chara borrows on the basic stereotype of enemies in shoujo: Enemies created off of malevolent feelings.
    Then some really shoddy foreshadowing comes up.
    Then some MINOR character development follows that involves Ikuto, the only character that changes by a slight.
    Then she takes someone else's chara and goes off to save the world from the evil omniprescent leader of the company, who turns out to be just a bloody kid who liked shiny shit.
    She doesn't end up change in the end.

    That is the plot of Shugo Chara.

    I can't MAKE you agree, honestly.
    And neither can I make your very passionate friends agree, evidently.
    If you have to punch someone because they don't agree with you, that's a BIT sad.

    And that is all I have to say on THIS subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i would just like to apologies for what i wrote see someone in my family just died so i was very upset and i took it out through my writing and on you i know it was wrong to say suck horrible stuff. i also know our opinions are different.once again i would just like to say i am deeply sorry for writing something so horrible i hope you don't think poorly of me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuses aren't going to get you very much pity in this situation, but I'll accept your apology, I suppose.

      Delete
  6. i meant to say such horrible thing sorry

    ReplyDelete