Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Palette of 12 Secret Colors

OhHaiDer :]


Good afternoon all~
Yes I actually took time to make the title all rainbowy :]
Anyways
Today I sacrifice to you..
The Palette of 12 Secret Colors!
(Yes, it's as dumb as it sounds.)


The Palette of 12 Secret Colors


Story & Art: Nari Kusakawa
Publisher: CMX Manga
Rating: Everyone
Synopsis: (Wikipedia) On the island of Opal live the world's most colorful birds. The birds have attracted a school for aspiring "Palettes" — wizards who have the ability to "borrow" color from one object and paint its qualities onto another. They are partnered with the birds to help with their training, borrowing the beautiful colors from their feathers. Young Cello has the potential to be a great Palette, but she just can't seem to control her power. As the end of freshman year approaches she's on the verge of failing, so she's going to need all the help her bird, Yoyo, can provide.


Art Review: 2/5


I really hate this style. So many things bother me about it. I suppose that the males look kinda nice, but the females are past borderline creepy. Cello has the worst design with her creepy ass eyes.


Story Review: First thought, oh god, I read a manga that was rated for everyone? Aside from the family approved prejudice, there are so many things to be ripping apart in this manga. I feel like this kid. All joking aside, the first thing I'm going to poke at is the fact that the abilities these people are given in general seem stupid and pointless. Basically they are magicians, who partner up with birds, for whatever reason, they take the colors out of the feathers of the bird, and they make shit out of it. You're putting people through school and making them use magic just so you don't need to bother with pigmentation in clothing ever again? Sounds like work that you could do much cheaper in China (I keed the Chinese). But honestly the basic concept of this manga doesn't present much excitement or promise for later volumes. I also don't get the extra concepts that they add to this. Birds eat flowers and suddenly gain more color? Whaa? You can trace the color and make things explode? How is it that color, which is an interpretation of reflected light, suddenly becomes a jello like solid when one needs to? And what is the use for this ability for the rest of your life? An ability like that has the means to forever ruin Eye Spy and Hide n' Seek. My childhood just got startled by that idea. Enough about my destroyed childhood, tiny points that bother me in this manga. Why does Gosti keep her partner in her boobs? Laziness? Fanservice? Really dumb interpretation of the trend to keep a chihuahua in your purse like Paris Hilton? Also, Dr.Guell is probably the oddest bastard I've ever read about. The jokes they try to make with him having a logical mind, calculating things in his head, don't even make sense, or just make him out to be somewhat homosexual. Speaking of Dr.Guell, there is an obvious hint in the manga that Cello and Dr.Guell have feelings for each other. However, this manga is so badly written that the 'romantic pressure' that is supposed to be evident in these sort of things is very badly pulled off and somewhat irritating, as with other things in this abomination of a manga. Overall, I hated this manga, I wish I didn't pick it up, I could have kept some of my brain cells.


4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment