Saturday, April 23, 2011

Appare Jipangu!

OhHaiDer :]


Awfully windeh today oAo
Today I bring you
Appare Jipangu!~


Appare Jipangu!


Story & Art: Yuu Watase
Publisher: Shogakukan Productions Co.
Rating: Older Teen (16+)
Synopsis: (wikipedia.com) Set in Japan during the Edo period, it follows the life of Yusura, who as a baby, was found under a cherry tree with the "Kongoumaru" (a staff that turns blue when people are sad) by her side. Now fifteen years later, Yusura has become the "hikeshiya" (or "extinguisher of sorrow") and uses the Kongoumaru to 'absorb' people's sadness and hit it back at the people that caused it.


Art Review: 4/5


Again, for those who've seen my Alice 19th review *cough* piece of shit *cough cough* I mention that I do like Watase's style, always super cute, although I noticed in this manga, at times some of the faces come out a bit sloppily.


Story Review: Probably one of the weirdest manga I've ever read. It's technically a shoujo but it follows the story form of a shonen. In this manga, it's evident that Yuu Watase's style of writing is majorly fast paced comedy, but even for her, this manga is way too quick and confusing, especially in the beginning. I tried to read her fight scenes but they are either confusing as hell or extremely disappointing since it ends with Yusura just one-hit KO'ing people. The fight scenes also get somewhat tedious as it has the sort of feel of the Sailor Moon "I SHALL PUNISH EVIL" feel but it gets boring as she says the same line over and over and over again. Poor Yusura, the bishie is in this story just thinks she is a man.. She's only 15, no one develops that fast, I know, it's the manga world, but that would be rather grotesque if a 15 year old girl had I-cups like every other girl in the vast world of manga (can you feel the sarcasm?) As I read this manga I was thinking to myself, the kongoumaru sucks up people's sadness, right? That thing would have a nuclear explosion if an emo kid stood beside her. And I see what you did thar, Watase, 'Kazanosuke of Koka Kola.' Haha, Watase, haha. Although this manga is indeed following a style of shonen, to have all of your romantic feelings bottled up cause you're too manly, it's way too obvious that Samon loves Yusara early in the manga (so, no, I did not just disclose a spoiler, this was made obvious in chapter 3.) Other than that, Watase's writing makes me laugh.. I don't usually laugh or smile at all when I'm reading manga, I look rather stone faced and about to blow it up with my eye lasers. As you read into the manga, there's an introduction of an obvious foreigner, Philip. Here's my issue, how come every time a foreigner comes they are from England or France? And the traditional Japanese art joke, where all the faces of the Japanese people are seen traditionally from the eyes of the foreigner, somewhat frightened me, I'm not all too sure why.. Overall, this manga's funny, but the plot is absolute shite. 


6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment