Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fairy Tail

OhHaiDer :]


Good afternoon~
...cookies
Anyways
Today I shall be reviewing...
Fairy Tail~


Fairy Tale


Story & Art: Hiro Mashima
Publisher:Del Rey Kodansha
Rating: Teen (13+)
Synopsis: (wikipedia.com) A young 17 year old celestial spirit mage, Lucy Heartfilia, runs away from home and travels to the land of Fiore to join the magical Fairy Tail Guild. Along the way, she meets Natsu Dragneel, a teenage boy looking for his foster parent, a dragon named Igneel, with his best friend, Happy the cat. Shortly after their meeting, Lucy is abducted by Bora of Prominence, who was posing as Salamander of Fairy Tail, to be sold as a slave. Natsu rescues her and reveals that he is the real Salamander of Fairy Tail and has the skills of a Dragon Slayer [fire type], an ancient magic. He offers her membership into the guild, which she gladly accepts. They, along with Happy become a team and perform various missions offered by the Fairy Tail guild. They are some times accopanied by Erza Scarlet,an armored maiden, and Gray Fullbuster, an ice maker.


Art Review: 2/5


I always hated this style. It reminds me of One Piece, which I can openly admit that I hate with a fiery passion. Long arms, long legs. I was able to accept that in mangas like xxxHolic because it wasn't really an action manga. This is, so I somewhat expected it to be in proportion. Everyone in this manga has the exact same face. The females look like males, aside from Lucy, and the males also look retarded. The enemies and main villains also look moronic, no matter how clever they come off as in the manga.


Story Review: I never really liked these kinds of manga. I say 'these kinds' because I find this manga is written and drawn similar to a lot of shonen manga which, in these cases I dislike. The biggest problems with these... There's too much going on in one volume. Usually I'm able to pick up a manga and sort it out but there's too much shit going on here. The volume I read featured a plot arc that mentioned the use of a song that could kill anyone who heard it, which was titled 'Lullaby'. The whole time I was reading this I couldn't take it seriously since it's also a move in Pokemon, and Lullaby is generally useless at times. I know that its a common trait in mangas to have really cheesy lines and shitty comebacks, but at one point a character calls another a 'worthless bag of wind'. There's a fine line for shitty writing, but this manga just crossed it, and got mauled by a moped in the process. Mashima, go hang yourself for writing that excruciating line. One more bit about the writing... The guild is called 'Fairy Tail'? Really now? I can't imagine a villain who is a wizard with super badass magic skills saying to himself,"Muahahaha, my evil plain is complete. Once I cast this spell... OH NO, IT'S THE FAIRY TAIL BRIGADE!" And you can't say you can, either. One thing that really ticked me off about this manga is that when the bad guys realise that they are no match for the hero they are fighting (which is about 2337294872 times in this volume alone, to add to the damage) they make this stupid ass face, which realistically looks a lot like this. It also reminds me of Speed Racer (the anime of course, not the shitty ass American remake of it) and his odd faces. I continue reading the manga up to the point where the flute that apparently summons the deadly song turns into a giant floating tree monster. Once again, more stupid faces. But the mention of the giant tree monster brings me to my next point about how dumb this manga is. Generally, shonen mangas are based the idea of a person wanting to become the 'strongest warrior/demon/wizard/accountant/whatever in the land'. This manga seems to not follow the normal way of just becoming powerful over a period of time. Rather, they are overpowered now, and there is never even a sliver of doubt in the characters as they completely rape and pillage every bad guy that gets in the way. They don't even need teammates as they show up 5 seconds after the fight is over and the victor shouts (and I quote this directly) "YOU GUYS ARE TOO LATE I WON ALREADY". As you can tell, I found this manga overall boring, predictable and mediocre.


5/10

6 comments:

  1. Wait a minute: did you pick up a random volume and then review the series as a whole? O.o In any case, I personally like One Piece's art style (which is better than this), and as an apparent Shoujo lover I think you may be a bit biased. XD And I don't necessarily think that proportionally accurate characters are a sure thing for shounen/action. (I mean, srsly, look at Bleach! They should all be like 10 ft tall!) That being said, I do agree that the plot is not necessarily the greatest. Some of the later plotlines are better. And the main characters (Lucy, Natsu & Happy) aren't likeable enough right away. (Though I never liked Lucy even after 100 chapters which was a huge negative for me!) Personally, I think some of the crappy dialogue/insults were probably jokes that didn't translate well (like the 'bag of wind' thing or whatever) which happens in shounen action/comedy. I had a falling out with this series after a while, like with many I stopped being interested because I found it confusing and repetitive.

    Anyway, nice review. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I TRIED reading the whole thing but I lost me mind D:
    I just remember the one volume I read recently which really got on me nerves xD
    lol Not at all, I do have my favorite shonens, but this was ridiculous D;
    And ty xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. >O hey HS i loove that. gah. you haven't seen the anime. go watch the newest epps.its good >(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, I don't know, if the manga sucks, I don't know if I should attempt watching it...
    Seems like proper logic to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfectly logical. Trust me, it's not very good. I tried when it first came out, but then I remembered: Oh yeah, I don't actually LIKE the first to volumes worth of story. So I quickly gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, good to know my logic is still intact~

    ReplyDelete