Saturday, April 30, 2011

Kimi Ga Suki

OhHaiDer :]


No one mention the royal wedding
Or I shall chop your face off
Anyway
Today I bring you
Kimi Ga Suki~


Kimi Ga Suki


Story & Art: Ayu Watanabe
Publisher: Kodansha
Rating: Teen (13+)
Synopsis: (onemanga.com) Aki has always liked her basketball club friend, Mase. However, she can't seem to gather her courage to confess to him. On the day when she finally decides to tell him, she is confessed to by a guy from a different Junior High! A horrible accident follows and Aki finds herself not being able to choose between the two – Mase, whom she truly loves or Koichi, whom she'll always feel indebted to…


Art Review: 3/5


The art style for the most part is somewhat cute, but the proportions for the girls legs and the sweaters just bug me out a bit, maybe it's just me.


Story Review: For a sports related shoujo, this one gets pretty dramatic. Starts off with Aki planning to confess but.. DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN~ Someone confesses to her first and throws her off guard. But this guy is kinda weird.. He makes it sound like he fell in love with her because she emasculated him or something. What made me laugh at this situation though is that she smashed into a pole after being confessed to. That's cute. Lay on the irony, though, the cute notions are over for the time, being, as Koichi gets a bunch of girders dumped on top of him. There are a bunch of things in this manga that make me laugh simply because they are too over dramatic. For instance, when Koichi tells her the first time that he cannot play basketball properly anymore due to the accident. She literally just falls over, and doesn't even faint. Aki is being a draaaaaama queeeeeeen. Now there's some true love. And it's not even amongst the people in the manga. No, it's the complex love of basketball for these people. These kids are crying because they'll never be able to play basketball again. I don't know about you guys but I was pretty fucking happy when I didn't have to go to gym and play basketball again (the horror!) Whatta twist, Mase confesses before Aki, but what does she do? Tell him she wants them to stay friends. Rather confusing, if I don't say myself. As I read the classroom scenes I wonder to myself, how asleep are you when people can sneak up behind you and make extravagant hairstyles with your hair when you're not looking? And right after this Mase makes a jealous bitch comment. About Aki's hair. Good sir, I believe making hair comments because of jealousy makes you pathetic. Or gay. I approach the part where Mogi makes the incorrect spelling jokes. With the spelling error here I wonder if he's Russian.. 'Let's all shower in the sveat of youth together!' In Soviet Russia sweat showers you. Mogi then says,"Spelling has never been my strongest point." Well Mogi, you are a basketball coach, you're not expected to be able to spell. I notice that in this manga at one moment Mase is insulting her and ignoring her and the next he's best buddies with her again as usual. Forgive me for making this reference, but... SOMEONE CALL THE DOCTOR, GOT A CASE OF THE LOVE BIPOLAR~ ....seriously, please shoot me. Moving along, Aki, why are you shocked that Mase and Natsumi are holding hands under the table as you sit there like a failed under-the-table-picture voyeur. You let go of him, riiiiiight? WRONG. *drops a can of spaghetti on her head* It's a shoujo, of COURSE it's not going to be that easy. This manga gets pretty cute at times, Koichi blushes at the memory of their kiss. It's little cute things like this that are rare in shoujo these days. Except when you cross the line and Koichi gets a nosebleed from Aki saying something cute. That's just a little creepy. Another trait of shoujo that is clearly evident in this manga is the aspect that no one in these manga can actually make up their mind. One thing that annoys me about this manga is that Koichi just stares the exact same way every time subtly important is revealed. Every time now I close my eyes I see that weird, vacant stare. It kinda reminds me of the sad Keanu meme. I feel kinda bad for Koichi though. He's a nice guy in this manga and doesn't really deserve to be flung around in the Aki x Mase drama. I laughed at Aki's mom though. Child is pale and can't sleep, must be going through puberty. I mean, Adam Young is pale and can't sleep but I'm pretty sure he went through puberty already. I also chuckled at the 'Heil' shirt that Mogi brandishes a little later on. Your basketball team will be doing cheers like Hitler. As all other mangas, it eventually becomes so dramatic that you just want to hit someone in the face for no particular reason. It literally set itself up so that Mase says that he loves Aki right in front of Natsumi and evidently shit hit the fan. When a kid doesn't show up for school, everyone assumes you have diarrhoea. Nice to know about how often Japanese schoolgirls get diarrhoea to make references to it. Aki, I like your style, stand up to an asshole, whip a basketball at him. That's gotta hurt. Measure effort of love by amount of points one scores. That's a pun that would will me to smash my head on my desk. If I had one. Overall this manga was a little cute, but somewhat typical. You could see everything that was going to happen miles away.


6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment