Wednesday, March 2, 2011

xXxHoLic

OhHaiDer :]


I am back with my third blog, and today we're covering XXXHolic~


xXxHoLic


Story & Art by: Clamp
Publisher: Kodansha & Del Rey
Rating: Teen (13+)
Synopsis:(Wikipedia) A seinen manga written and illustrated by the group of manga authors known as Clamp. The series, which ties in strongly with another of Clamp's series, Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, revolves around Kimihiro Watanuki, a high-school student disturbed by his ability to see the supernatural and meets Yuuko Ichihara, a witch who owns a wish-granting shop. Watanuki requests to have his ability to see spirits removed and as payment, Yūko hires him to work in the shop, resulting in his encounter with various supernatural encounters.


Art Review: 4.5/5


An interesting style of art is portrayed in xXxHoLic, with super-long legs and arms, beautiful and detailed art. At first it took me a little getting used to for the style of art, but the detailing grows on you.


Story Review: I remember in grade 8, being told about this manga by a certain Hispanic friend of mine.. Something about this Watanuki being Yuuko's bitch.. I entirely and whole-heartedly agree with that comment, having now finished the series. The characters in this manga are so lovable.. Watanuki's easily excitable and slightly introverted nature, Yuuko's lazy, sarcastic and sadistic quirks, Domeki's complete non-reaction to EVERYTHING and Mokona's slightly crazy but adorable manner. Watanuki's love interest for Himawari and the fact she is completely oblivious to this is oh-so-adorable and adds the little sweetness everyone looks for. My favorite feature about this manga is the constant references to Japanese culture in food, to rituals to just about everything. Even if you are not familiar with Japanese culture, the guide at the back can teach you a thing or two about it. It is rare that I find a manga that has the mystery of death, purgatory and human vice that doesn't become totally depressing. The one thing that stuck in my mind is a quote said by Yuuko quite often in the series,"There can be no coincidences, only the inevitable." This manga makes you think a lot about the world, and the nature of the human race, and the theory stated in the manga, "For every action there must be a payment/reaction." What I find really interesting about this manga is that the events are related to those that happen in Tsubasa : Reservoir Chronicles, as well as the characters. I have not fully read Tsubasa, but I see how there are connections between the two series by at least a small amount. *spoiler alert* I was truly saddened to learn of Yuuko's fate, she was one of my favorite characters.. *spoiler alert* However, the ending isn't crap, like a lot of series tend to turn out. Overall, this was a good series, it never gets tedious, the balance between the supernatural and comedy is well established, and I enjoyed reading AND watching this series.


8.5/10

3 comments:

  1. I loved this one! (Still haven't finished it btw) I love the balance of comedy and seriousness. It makes it truly a lot of fun to follow!

    I do love the extraordinary designs (as per usual with clamp) but the noodle people bother me a bit. The proportions bothered me most in the super long shots where you see full body. O.o

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing that I included a spoiler alert on this one then > u>
    In the anime, that becomes really noticeable.
    For a second when I was watching it I thought I was watching a Mizayaki movie because of all the graceful people that kinda looked like monsters -u-
    Speaking of Mizayaki
    SEA HAMSSSSS >:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. SEA HAM!!!

    I don't think Miyazaki's people look like noodles though.


    ...more like SEA HAMS!!! XD

    ReplyDelete