Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cry Eye

OhHaiDer :]


Oh man 
35 C in Canada today
Died trying to get bubble tea x
Course, it's worth it ;D
Anyway
Today I bring you..
Cry Eye~


Cry Eye


Story & Art: Sorano Akira
Publisher: (haven't found it yet. Sorry~)
Rating: 18+
Synopsis: (mangaupdates.com) Asahi and her friend Yamato went together to an exclusive event as test players for a new game from the cellphone-game company "Sky Nova." The test players were a diverse lot of all ages, from ordinary teens like Asahi to popular idols. The company took all of them on a cruise to explain the rules of this island-based, treasure-hunting survival game. Suddenly, during the presentation, all of the participants lost consciousness. They woke up on an actual island wearing a strange watch with the words "Game Start." Now they are all stuck in this survival game, which has become all too real and deadly!


Art Review: 4/5


I think this art style is very well pulled off. The characters are cute, and the gore is pulled off pretty well, balancing grotesqueness and creepiness in a horrific masterpiece.


Story Review: The first panels start off with the main character with the main character bitching about how boring her life is, and that she wished that she had adventures in her life. And obviously by this "Do or Die" page right next to that page, this is obviously going to turn out somewhat like Saw. Or for those too much of a wimp to watch thrillers, Survivor, except no one survives. Apparently they go on this campaign to beta test their cellphone games. That's fine and all, but I don't understand why you have to put them all on a boat and send them to a deserted island. I don't know about you, but it sounds sketchy to me whether you know the whole story or not. I'm liking this Asahi character already. She knows how to cook things in the wild and already has had dangerous adventures with her father in the forest, and she's adorably naive all at the same time. Too bad in about 20 pages or so she's probably going to be covered in blood, and this'll turn into some weird 'Higurashi When They Cry' sort of thing. Asahi is tempted by Yamato to enter this game despite her pleas of not knowing a thing about gaming (the perfect woman.. -sighs- I shall continue to search) with the thoughts of possibly finding some rare edible plants. And here we meet yet another cute girl, Misaki. I feel sad seeing all these cute girls knowing that they are possibly going to die horrible, gruesome deaths. Of course, with all that cuteness there is another side, she's scary towards guys as we can see. And now, continuing on with the introductions, we meet Kaito, 'The Guy Who Wants To Kill Himself', who looks a lot like L from Death Note. He's suicidal, so the resemblance ends there. We then meet the loli-shota portion of the story, Iihina, who is apparently a princess. What makes me wonder is what a princess is doing beta testing video games. I think at this point, they're just throwing a bunch of stereotyped people onto a boat just to see what happens. Takeshi appears, an old, creepy guy. I'd think with all these gamers on a ship this guy would have appeared sooner. Speaking of gamer stereotypes, they go off to hear the rules for the game, and the person explaining has huge tits, dressed in a witch costume with a cat-like demeanour. I'd say this bears resemblance, for anyone who knows what I'm referencing. I feel somewhat bad for Asahi. After being dumped on the island and starting the game, in which is explained that the cellphone is a major tool, she had dropped it earlier. Because for every horror movie, no one has a cellphone. Those are just the rules Asahi. Although, I'd say, screw the rules, I have money. Or green hair. 52 pages in, I was wondering where the 'horror' portion was going to come in, until the next page, where someone emits a blood curdling scream and Asahi goes to investigate. Never a good idea, but it's fun to watch, as she finds the creepy guy, Takeshi. Of course, he's covered in blood and the fun shall begin. Good thing that guy died first, I don't think this manga needs a rape scene with all this underage creepy nonsense. And now, here's another stereotypical character, the jackass who doesn't believe any of this is real and sets off all the traps on purpose. Big mistake, as she accidentally kills the girl she's with Kill Bill style. I do like that they try to catch the reader off guard by starting off with a cute, innocent situation and completely turning into gory horror, instead of every page being horrifying and depressing, and you think to yourself," There's nothing else in here that's going to impress me, it'll take a lot to... oh my god.." Although I'm starting to not like Yamato, because I don't think he realises the gravity of the creepiness when he says "I got on this gorgeous ship to be with Asahi! If she dies all my plans are ruined." I think more than your plans will be ruined if you came across Asahi with her blood and guts splattered across the island with that creepy zombie face everyone seems to make when they die. It somewhat reminds me of Franken Fran. There's a reminiscing scene from the eyes of Asahi about the first time her and Yamato had talked to each other. He approaches her mentioning that she could be making real money out of the game 'Prison Break'. Of course, Asahi, not knowing a thing about gaming, says that she's never been to jail and couldn't make money that way. It made me laugh since it reminded me that in Chinese jails, people are actually forced to take 14 hour shifts gold mining in World of Warcraft. I do find it rather delightful with the addition of the explanation of the game by Yamato, with it heavily relying on the theme of betrayal. I just like clever foreshadowing and irony in manga and such. What makes this even more amusing is the fact that Asahi is clearly not interested in the huge gaming addiction that is prominent in almost every character in the whole manga and a reminder to us that not every character is like the reader (yes, I'm talking to you, guy-who-is-unhealthily-addicted-to-games-and-lives-in-his-mother's-basement.) I do have a problem with some of the action scenes, since the transition between them are kind of abrupt and I don't even understand what exactly is going on in the scene in general. I remember Asahi finding the creepy guy but then all of a sudden there's a stick and she's falling off of a cliff and now she's screaming randomly while wearing other clothes? She wakes up beside to her "foul mouthed beauty" after falling off of the cliff. Just another aspect of her cuteness. But as I'm reading I keep getting a mixed message of what this manga's feel is like, a combination of Hunter X Hunter and Higurashi When They Cry. Although every time I see Asahi's hair tie thing, I keep thinking of Amu from Shugo Chara. Like I need to remember THAT again. I do understand that a lot of the banter between Asahi and other characters is because she's inexperienced or just a little bit slow, but at times I don't even understand where it even makes sense into the conversation. Perhaps I am even more slow than Asahi. It's amusing how the 'foul mouthed prince' (I have omitted his name due to the length of time it's taking me to read these manga on my shitty internet) just sits there through all this madness reading a book. There's no one to bother him while he's reading, after all. This is starting to get ridiculous. Apparently, in Japan, to have made the earlier mentioned "Prison Break" game they actually put people in a prison and gathered data from it. I really don't want to know how they figured out the Mario series. Perhaps it relates to that odd fetish of having a woman with high heels step on furry little animals. Again, with the scenes in this manga, one moment she's wearing this tanktop and another she's wearing her uniform again. The abruptiness (yes, I just made that up) of the panels is making this more confusing than it has to be. There's even more unexplained abruptiness as the witch-cat-girl is horrifically tortured and killed. For now, there are no more scanlations, I think I'll come back to this manga, I guess I'm the sort to be magnetically drawn to gory mangas. It was not bad, a good read if you're just as crazy as I am.


7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment