Friday, June 3, 2011

Aladdin and the Magic Teapot

OhHaiDer :]


Sorreh for being late
Things just SUCK right now xD
Anyways
Today I bring you..
Aladdin and the Magic Teapot~


Aladdin and the Magic Teapot


Story & Art: Sou Michiko
Publisher: Biblos
Rating: 13+
Synopsis: (mangaupdates.com) This one volume manga is about a young man named Aragami Akira, a.k.a Alladin. One day he finds a teapot hidden behind a bush. He decides to clean it up and show it to his a friend's grandmother. Much to his surprise when he rubs it, out comes a magic genie.


Art Review: 3.5/5


The art for this manga is not particularly special, although I notice that some of the girls look like drag queens and some of the guys look like manly girls. There is, as I'll mention, way too much blushing.


Story Review: I thought when I saw that this was a story that borrowed the original Aladdin story that this was going to be one of those manga that use other classic stories as an attempt to make a deep story line. That's not the case at all, for this manga. The story borrows the idea of the genie for this story, simply. But for whatever reason, when I see Aragami, I think of a little boy or a stereotypical shoujo heroine. Perhaps its because he's delightfully cheerful. One thing that really bothers me about this manga is that literally every facial expression turns out blushy. Mad=Blushy Sad=Blushy Embarrassed=Blushy Scared=Blushy It kind of reminds me of the facial expressions of Kristen Stewart. There's something that Aragami needs to understand. Aoi can't be with you because she is manlier in looks and personality than you. And the only thing that scares me more than just how aggressive Aoi is her grandma, when she says,"And then you suffer your whole life" Grandma, I think you should take your pills and rest now. Speaking upon creepy, Aragami blushes at the sight of smiling boys asking him to bring back the ball. If you do smile at that sort of thing.. I think you should take a seat. I think I like this version of the genie better than the original. Kogetsu is very amusing to me. But as a genie he as well does that assholish genie thing where they even take commands that were not wishes as your wishes. This is why I do all my thinking in my head when it comes to genies (I make faces while I think, so that's also perhaps why I SCARE people.)  Never get Kogetsu mad, he's going to get all Gyarados on your ass. Speaking of Pokemon, with the way Kogetsu gets captured, the teapot is kinda like a pokeball (yes, I'm a pokemon nerd, shush.) As if Aragami couldn't be more girly, he submits to Kogetsu's demands to make him dinner. Kogetsu tries to wake Aragami up to make him more food. He tells him he looks like a dumbass while sleeping. I wonder if you could look like a genius while sleeping.. Nah, you probably couldn't, you'd end up looking like this. Gods GPS; ask the trees. Simply because it is THAT manly. Men don't need to ask for directions, that's just silly. Something Aragami says puts me off guard. He calls one of Aoi's new boyfriends an asshole. -claps slowly- Bravo, son, bravo. But no matter what Aragami says, Kogetsu is 1232380x manlier than him. Even though when Aragami tries to get rid of Kogetsu he gets a bit moody. But that's ok you're still awesome. Oh booohooo Aragami. "Constantly demanding that I cook meals! He treats me like a maid!" You're prolly girly enough to wear a maid outfit anyway. (autocorrect, why did you change girly to Gorky?) At least he isn't making you wash his crusty underwear. Kogetsu comes back and Aragami hugs him too long and he pushes him off and says 'Bloody hell.' Wait, since when was Kogetsu English? Although there are a serious amount of things that I find in this manga, one of them is the well placed sound effects. Like the one that goes 'Fuch'. Teeheehee maturity, I can haz? What I also find interesting is this plot twist. Aladdin goes to save Aoi and confess to her all chauvinistic like, but by the time they get there she already beat the shit out of Matsushita. That Matsushita, planning to sleep with Aoi just for a contest.. He really puts the shit in Matsushita.. Haha, get it? Shit? Because he's a-- Oh, never mind. Sadly with all the amusing things here, the plot devices are easy as hell to spot at this point, as Renju makes his appearance. He had to come in and be an obstacle at some point, he was mentioned too much to NOT have an appearance. Renju tries to make Kogetsu bow to him by destroying the teapot, which is his current life force. When Kogetsu just ignores him and leaves he shouts," Are you listening to me?" I was half expecting him say after,"I'm so misunderstood.." -sniff sniff, tear tear, slash slash- Back to the point of how Renju captured Kogetsu, it is learned that Renju is in fact a frog in true form. Which leads me to this prying question... How the fuck did a frog catch a dragon? Renju later saves the day by putting out the fire on dear old grandma's house. Here's some of the dialogue. Man 1: He is directing the water without using a hose! Man 2: Hot damn! One word: FAGGOT. Again, with the sexism, this grandma must have been worked by the grandfather to old age. She even remembers the markings on the ground. The only thing that disappoints me more than that is Aragami. For one panel he actually looks manly and it is opportune for him to say something manly, but what does he say? "Aha." I am disappoint. Overall, I actually enjoyed this manga very much, I thought it was going to be retarded, but I found it funny and charming. I would, however, have enjoyed if the AragamixAoi plot was fixed up and not just left floating around.


8/10



4 comments:

  1. Lolololololololololol x infinity
    Funniest review ive read so far xD
    Pokemon hahaha!
    Keep it up (^_^)d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wai tank chu ouo
    Always glad to hear of compliments and/or complaints.

    ReplyDelete